legal protections for your modern family
Important milestones in life, such as settling down with the person you love or starting a family, often come with important legal implications. No matter what stage of your life you find yourself entering, sound legal advice can help protect your rights and assets.
Elizabeth F. Schwartz, PA was founded in 2001 to serve the unique legal needs of the modern Florida family, and is guided by these four principles:
- We listen to our clients' concerns and intentions
with respect and responsiveness.
- We help our clients explore their options, and provide
guidance through an unfamiliar legal landscape.
- We provide creative, conscious lawyering, and when
needed, vigorous advocacy.
- We value compassion, quality, and peace of mind.
florida marriage equality news
The fight for marriage equality comes to Florida!
On January 21, 2014, six same-sex couples and Equality Florida Institute filed a lawsuit in Florida state court in Miami seeking the freedom to marry. The lawsuit, whose abbreviated case style is Pareto v. Ruvin, argues that Florida’s laws barring same-sex couples from marriage violate the United States Constitution by denying them the legal protections and equal dignity that having the freedom to marry provides. Elizabeth F. Schwartz is proud to be co-counsel on this case, along with the National Center for Lesbian Rights, the law firm Carlton Fields Jorden Burt, and attorney Mary B. Meeks.
• Download the official Complaint filed in Court
• Download the official press release
• Download the Answer and Affirmative Defenses filed by Defendant Harvey Ruvin, Clerk of Courts
• Download the Motion to Intervene filed by Florida Family Action, Inc., Florida Democratic League, Inc., and People United to Lead the Struggle for Equality, Inc.
• Download the Plaintiff's Motion for Summary Judgment
• Download the Plaintiff’s Memorandum in Support of Motion for Summary Judgment
• Download the Order Denying Motion to Intervene issued by Judge Zabel on June 3, 2014
Learn more about the case, and about the recent Supreme Court decisions that set the stage for this battle, on our Marriage Equality page.
news & upcoming events
Congratulations to Elizabeth on her recent acceptance into the AAAA
The American Academy of Adoption Attorneys (AAAA) is an Academy of approximately 340 members throughout the U.S. and Canada who are experts in the complexities of adoption law and the variety of interstate and international regulations surrounding adoption.
Membership is invitational. Fellows all have acted as counsel in at least 50 adoption proceedings, including 10 interstate placements, and must maintain their practice according to the highest standards of ethics, competence and professionalism.
The AAAA is a not-for-profit organization. It has a number of committees dedicated to the improvement of adoption law and its ethical practice. Among others, the committees include the Adoption Agency Practice, Assisted Reproduction, Ethics, Legislative, International Adoption, Interstate Compact and Internet Communications.
690 Lincoln Road, Suite 304 • Miami Beach, FL 33139
• Tel. 305.674.9222 • Fax 305.674.9002
Hablamos español. This website is
for informational purposes only. Please read our disclaimer. All Rights Reserved. © Elizabeth F. Schwartz, P.A.